The idea for Freakin’ Sweet Knots came about when I was designing/making my wife’s engagement ring. I thought it would be cool to be able to visualize different changes to the knot, without having to tie it every time. It was a couple years after I finished my wife’s ring that Freakin’ Sweet Knots actually came together, so I never had a chance to use it in that fashion — that is, until recently.

Back in May I was contacted by a fellow knot tyer, Shane Marks, who wanted to tie his and his fiance’s wedding bands. He had read my engagement ring instructable, and contacted me about it. I was excited to use Freakin’ Sweet Knots the way I first envisioned it! He met with a jeweler and got the dimensions he would need. He also ordered some different gauges of wire to practice with, and all the tools necessary from the instructable. I used Freakin’ Sweet Knots to generate a couple different knot configurations using the information from the jeweler and sent him renders of them. He liked this one the most.

Two Tone Spanish Ring Knot

Two tone Spanish ring knot rendered with Blender.

He chose the Spanish Ring knot. From there on it was all up to him! Over the last several months I’ve received picture updates on his progress.

 

First knot out of wire.

Shane’s first ever knot out of wire tied around one of his awesome marlinspikes that he makes.

The jeweler provided Shane with silver bands early on so he could dial in the size of the knot. Here’s his first ring to fit around it.

First ring

First woven ring around the sizing band.

 

And here he’s got it just about dialed in! This one is very close to the knot he used for his own wedding band.

Spanish ring knot out of wire.

Spanish ring knot out of wire.

 

And here are a couple more knots on the sizing bands.

Rings on sizing bands

Spanish ring knots on the sizing bands.

 

This is the band the jeweler made to house the knot for Shane’s ring. It’s in two pieces so the knot can be slipped on before permanently joining them together.

 

 

The band for Shane's ring.

The band for Shane’s ring.

I felt dreadful after getting the following update. Shane made the same mistake I did and just ordered gold wire without specifying dead-soft. The wire he received was much stiffer¬†than the wire he’d been practicing with, which makes it very difficult to work with. He (just like I did) had to abandon his first attempt with gold wire. I can’t believe I didn’t emphasize that he needed dead-soft gold wire! :(

First attempt with gold wire.

Shane’s first attempt with stiff gold wire.

 

Shane was very stubborn (and rightly so) about getting it to work. These are a few more pictures after hours and hours of working the wire with bloodied, calloused fingers. He even had the jeweler anneal the wire to see if he could get it to work. Unfortunately, he had to start over.

Stiff wireStiff wireStiff wireAnnealed

 

 

Because he was in a time crunch (the wedding is next week!). He didn’t have time to get new wire. To¬†make the wire work, he decided to tie his ring with fewer bights (bumps on the top and bottom). Here are pictures of his successful attempt.

Shane's ring Shane's ring Shane's ring

 

And here are the final rings.

Final rings

 

Congratulations Shane! You did a wonderful job. All the best at your wedding and forever after!

BTW, Shane does some amazing knot work as well as makes knotting tools. Be sure to check out his site, Rhino Ropework.

Leave a Reply


8 − = zero